Friday, January 6, 2012

Literacy Centers

I LOVE literacy centers! Check out some of the activities we've done in our classroom. More coming soon!

ABC & Word Work Center

Our ABC Tubs contain a variety of alphabet, phonics, and word work activities. Here are a few of the recent activities we have done:  



"I Spy" Bags - I made these using pencil pouches, rice, and poly-beads. The children hunt for letters and record their findings by coloring in the letters on the recording sheet.

Click here for my Letter Hunt Recording Sheet.









In this bag, the children hunt for objects and then record the beginning sounds.










Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a favorite in my classroom. At this center, the children sequence the alphabet on the story mat as they read. 







ABC Punching - The children use large thumb tacks to punch letters. A felt sheet is placed underneath construction paper. If they hold it up to the light, it looks like an alphabet constellation.





Magnet Boards - The children can do various letter sorts. They can also read and spell the names of the children in our class.






Stamping - The kids use alphabet stamps to sequence the alphabet or practice sight words.

Click here for ABC Stamping Sheet and
here for Read Stamp Trace Write.









Object Sorts - Using the Alphabet Sounds Tubs from Lakeshore, the children do various beginning sound sorts.









Stringing Words - The kids use pipe cleaners to build sight words and names. I'm not sure where these letters came from though. 










Sand Writing - The children use their fingers or a pencil eraser to practice writing letters or sight words in sand. 












Sound Hunt - Students reach into a bag to pick out an object. Then they record the beginning sound on their recording sheet.

Click here for my Sound Hunt Recording Sheet.








Library Center

Here the children can read to themselves or with a buddy. They can also read through a "whisper phone" to hear themselves sounding out words.


Big Book Center

At the big book center, the children read big books, track text with pointers, highlight sight words with highlighter tape, match words on post-it notes, and complete a written response. Click here for my Big Book Response Sheet



Listening Center

The children listen to a story on the iPod and then complete a written response.

 Click here for my Listening Response Sheet.









Computer Center

Favorite activities include Starfall, ABCMouse, Superstar Phonics, TumbleBooks, and Imagine Learning English (for my ELL students).

Write the Room

The kids love this one! They get to use a pointer and a clipboard and write words they find around the classroom. Sometimes they will have to find words beginning with a certain letter and other times, the words will be related to a theme.

Click here for my Write The Room Template.


Pocket Chart Center

This center has a variety of pocket chart activities, such as alphabet sequencing, sound sorting, letter sorting, matching games, and more.



Story Telling Center

This center includes familiar books, along with puppets as well as felt boards for retelling and dramatizing stories.

29 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to download your printables but I cannot find the links. Thanks!
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING your literacy ideas! I am leaving your page open so I can come back after school and get some more fabulous idea. I LOVE LITERACY!!! :) HA! Thanks so much for sharing your freebies too! Also, I am having a giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to stop by! :)

    Julia
    Loving & Learning in Pre-K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've got real live Mac computers in your room. I'm thoroughly impressed.

    www.forverin1st.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you included pictures of the centers! :) I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger award here.

    Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ideas, I have pined and will make for my pre-k classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great centers! I would like to download them but it won't let me without paying. Is there another way to download them?

    Carrie_d_rcds@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great centers! I too would love your printables as I am moving to kindergarten next year...but it says I have to pay. Is there another way to get them? Thanks,
    Amy Burton
    mskeenan123@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....quite expensive......any other way to get a copy of any of these?

      Delete
  8. Is there another sight other than the one they are listed on? Are they on TpT by chance? I am not familiar with the sight so was reluctant to pay. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your ideas! I am a first year teacher this year and am soaking up as much as I can! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your ideas. I am getting back into teaching after many years being stay at home. I cant get your downloads either. Is there a way you can send them to me? Thanks.
    rooskimama @ verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for wonderful ideas! I am teaching Kindergarten as well and really enjoying it! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of your printables but was also not able to download them. If you are able to can you send them to me? Thanks so much! (As a new kindergarten teacher after four years in second grade - I LOVE your blog)
    kmburkemper@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these ideas too but am having the same issues as the other guests. Could you send me the printables? Thank you so much!

    annmontgomery11@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. would it be possible for you to send me the printables for your centers? I am new to teaching Kindergarten and these look wonderful!

    kristine.harrison@mnps.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love copies of the printables as well. sophia_hassanali@yahoo.com
    Love your blog and so thankful for all the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. l would love a copy too! Thanks.

    Motoman361@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am new to kindergarten this year and would love a copy of the printables for your word work! I try to change them up and keep my children engaged. I hope you will share! My email is: 22.lrosloniec@nhamail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love a copy of all the printables as well. They are fabulous!
    Here is my email: dderetchin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would also love a copy of your printables as I've been looking for ways to change up our centers! Thanks! ceb515@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am unable to download the printables through scribd. How can I get a copy?
    Thanks,
    ALC

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love your printables too, but I could not access them through scrib. Could you send them to me? mjp324@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your centers are awesome.
    I would love a copy of all the printables if I could.
    I am planning to incorporate centers in my classroom next fall.
    Do you have math center printables....if so could i have those as well?
    Here is my email: brock.jennifer@columbusdons.org

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your centers are awesome! Do you have a TPT site? If so, I'd love to purchase them through that site. Thanks so much!

    Katie_stutzman@hotmail.com

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a store and I have plenty of center activities available. Check it out! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mrs-Riccas-Kindergarten

      Delete
  24. Thank you for sharing! These are awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, I love your ideas and your printables! I wanted to download them, but I have to pay to download. Is there any other way I could get those printables?

    Thanks,
    cmudd760@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. love your stuff...but so many of us are begging to get ahold of your downloads...just not thru the scribd........do you have TPT?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey..I was looking for ideas to use while planning for next year. Iam saving your post to my tab.GREAT STUFF.

    ReplyDelete